Friday, September 13, 2013

Top 10 Tips to Survive High School

As social outcasts, my friend and I often discussed how unpopular we were and how much we hated everyone, and by everyone I mean, we liked a handful of people, tolerated a dozen and the rest can go fuck themselves. Now we always talked about the best tactics to avoid people whether that’s in the classroom, at lunchtime or just in general. We compiled a list of tips (long before I even started this blog); so for all those unfortunately awkward folks out there, this post is definitely for you...


Number 1) FORM FRIENDSHIP GROUPS EARLY – now this one sounds very simple and it is but you have to remember that when making friends at the start of high school, you pick the people you like and won’t mind spending every single day with them. Make sure whoever you pick has the same sense of humor as you so you can laugh at how “great” high school is. It’s also good to have a whole group of friends so that it doesn't matter what class you’re in, you always have someone to sit next to.

Number 2) UNDERSTAND WHERE YOUR TEACHERS AND CLASSES ARE – this one is sorted out in the first few weeks of school but I still think it’s important because its so embarrassing walking into the wrong classroom, especially when you’re already 15 minutes late. This has happened to me many a time and it’s absolutely awful. Not only because you’re now the stupid-idiot-who-couldn't-find-the-room-and-was-aimlessly-walking-around-the-entire-school-like-an-idiot, but because everyone has probably already partnered up and you've either got to sit with someone who don’t know or on your own. If it ever gets to this point, always choose to sit on your own; it’s the safe option, trust me.

Number 3) ALWAYS BE PREPARED – this one applies to all aspects of life but in school it’s an important one. Now, this could be with stationary (don’t be that one douche-bag who turns up to an exam with no pen) or just general supplies. I always carried my mirror, a bit of makeup and deodorant. I’d also suggest investing in some hand gel because even if you don’t use the school toilets, someone around you HAS and will always want to touch your hands, ew. However, I would say you don’t need the super size family pack of something, mini travel size things will do – I’m speaking to all those secret hairspray hoarders…

Lucky my high school was never THAT bad.. oh wait, it was.
Number 4) TRY TO STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF POPULAR PEOPLE – this one is probably the most important thing you will ever hear EVER. Its one me and my friend have mastered to a T and even though I could probably write a book on it, I’ll try to keep it short. Now, if there are some popular people in your classes, I’d try to avoid ‘group work’ with those particular people. Limit the amount of interaction you have with them and they will eventually see you as invisible. This probably doesn't seem like a good thing but it honestly is. If they don’t SEE you, they don’t say anything and everyone lives happily ever after... If only. The hallways are a disaster zone both before and after lessons. Try to leave class quickly to avoid the mayhem those hooligans love. It’s very easy to become embroiled in 2 boys fight where they push each other from wall to wall but be careful, BITCHES BE CRAZY, as Sheldon would say. Also dining rooms or cafeterias are an absolute no-no. I mean, enter at your own risk, just saying.

Number 5) ESTABLISH A ‘SAFE PLACE’ – this could be in a particular classroom like your tutor group if you have that, or a just a place where you and your friends stand at break or lunch. Now you have to think practical when trying to decide a place of safety. My friends and I adopted a small corner of a particular English corridor that was enough out of sight for people to walk past and not even notice we were there. It also had a lovely table where we could rest our bags and a radiator where we would stand pressed against in the winter months. It was basically perfect; it was made even better because in our last year, the teachers on duty would tell everyone else to go into the dining hall or outside whereas we would be allowed to stand in the warm. I’m telling you: invisibility is our strength.

Number 6) USE YOUR TIME WISELY – the last year of high school is hard if you aren't prepared for the amount of work you have to do. It always seems like you have too many essays to write, assignments to complete and exams to study in so little time. But the truth is, you just have to plan your schedule really well. This should be done throughout the 5 years there but is especially important in the last year. You need to make sure all pieces of homework are handed in on the right day or else you could be looking at a long spell of detention. Luckily, most of my teachers gave us a warning if you didn't bring it in but had to be done before the next lesson. It can feel like everything is snowballing out of your control if you just wait till the day before to get it done and fortunately for me, I’m actually not one of those people. I like to make sure I've got it done the day I’m given it so I can have the rest of the week to myself without having to worry about it. Just try to do as soon as, it’s a lot easier I think.

This film gave an unrealistic portrayal of a actual high school prom.
Disney, I am disappointed in you.
Number 7) YEAR 11 – not only do you have to think about the work you have to do and the exams but one thing that our school did was PROM. I’m not sure if many schools in the UK have prom cause it’s obviously an American thing but we did and the night was really good. The preparation however, was not. I actually had to buy a new dress because one of the girls from my school had the same one, but it all worked out in the end because I liked my new dress so much better, so that was lucky. I left a lot of shopping until the last week or so which I don’t recommend. It was a desperate panic to find a bag but I eventually found a beautiful clutch that I loved. I also wish I had had more time on the day of prom because unfortunately, I had 2 Spanish exams on the day. They were scheduled in the afternoon which meant we were let out hours later than everyone else. I got home in such an absolute panic that nothing was going to go right; I also had to go into town to get my makeup done and get the bus back because my mom was still at work (I looked way too overdone in my casual clothes and fake eyelashes and people kept giving me funny looks). My mom did my hair and before I knew it, my uncle came in his beautiful car to take me and my friend there. I had to do my nails in the car and they actually fell off before I even put my bag on the table in the event hall. I danced with my friends all night and had an amazing time; it was worth the stress, I’m telling you.
Another thing we did in year 11 was actually a House Meal. I don’t know if other schools have ‘School Houses’, basically we had 5 houses which the entire school was split into: Churchill, Pankhurst, Nightingale, Brunel and my house Shakespeare. So the idea of the meal was to unite people from your year in your house for the last time before we finished school. Now I was really debating going because apart from a handful of people who I like, I’m not a fan of any of the others. Also, the teachers in my house always seem to argue with me, especially my head of house and deputy head of house. I only decided to go because I was bombarded by that particular handful of lovely people who really wanted me to go. I did and in the end, I was happy I went. I sat on the table with my friends in my house and we had a good time.

Number 8) EXAM PREPARATION – this could simply be making sure you know what the exam is going to be about, but also know how long the exam is, what day its on and where it is. Luckily for us, we were given exam timetables because a few of the later exams were after we had had our last day of school. This meant that we had to come into school to do study sessions if we hadn't done that particular subjects exam. Some of those lessons helped but some of them really don’t. I went into school for my Psychology study sessions because I knew many of my class wouldn't so I could focus more with a smaller group; however, I didn't go in for my Physics study sessions because they didn't help me. I found that it was easier for me to study Physics at home where it was quieter and I could use my revision book and the Internet to focus on the topics that I didn't understand properly. I know that if I had gone into school, and then I would have been doing practice exam papers which really don’t help me. This sort of links back to Number 6; you know how you learn best.

Number 9) GCSE RESULTS DAY – now I think the best way to approach this one is just to not expect much; sometimes you can be too overconfident and fail or you can be super nervous and do better than you thought you were going to. I think it’s so much better to have slightly lower expectations than be disappointed because at the end of the day, they don’t really define your life.

Number 10) ENJOY LEAVING – I know a lot of people reading this might actually LIKE high school but for me and a lot of my friends, it wasn't a good experience, especially at my school. I am so glad I have left because to be honest, the lessons were fine, the teachers were fine but the vast majority of people were not the nicest. They were rude bullies and thankfully, none of them are going to my Sixth Form so I think I’ll have a much better time. It’s really difficult while you’re in year 9 or 10 and you’ve got a few years left before you can leave which absolutely sucks but hold on to the thought that every day that goes by, is another day closer to leaving. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. good post :)

    please check out my new fashion, makeup and hair blog if you ever have time?!

    http://xprincessjas.blogspot.co.uk/

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog looks amazing :) xxx

    ReplyDelete