Sunday, September 14, 2014

Growing Up

I wanted to write this blog post because it's a concept that I'm struggling with, or at least my mom is. The thing is I'm really looking forward to moving away from home for university; it's always been something I've wanted to do just because I absolutely hate where I live. I really really do. I don't want to be one of those people who don't have a job and end up staying on the same estate with 4 kids before I'm 25. I want a better life than that and the only way that I see that happening, is to go to a good university and get an education.

The universities that I'm looking at however are quite a few hours away and while I'm prepared, and more than ready to leave, I don't think my mom is. I know that she still sees me as her baby but she needs to understand that I'm going off to university in a year. And I want to be able to make an informed, unbiased decision of where I go on my OWN. That's all it is. I don't need her comments on how she "doesn't get a good feeling" about the place, or its "too expensive". It has to be my decision and mine alone.
 
Now I want you to know that it's not that I don't appreciate her because I do. She's my mother and I love her more than anyone in the world, but I need to do this by myself. I wanted to go to my Open Days on my own but because of my lack of money, ie. I'm poor, she has to drive me there. I'm excited about seeing them for the first time and imagining myself studying there but I'm not looking forward to her opinions on everything. I know that she doesn't mean to do it but she just can't help herself and it drives me insane. I don't need her influencing my opinions on where I want to spend the next 3 years of my life. I just need some freedom. Freedom, to make my own decisions, or mistakes, and if that's what they are, I have to make them myself.


Check out my last blog post: Back to Sixth Form - where I write about Year 13

No comments:

Post a Comment