Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Nail Art

As you know, I've been getting into the "Christmas spirit" a lot more these last few weeks, usually I don't really care and I don't know why this year I'm suddenly really interested, who knows? I've been listening to Christmas music on repeat and even painted my nails all Christmassy and festive.

Now I wanted to do something really incredible and fantastic but I thought I should try something simpler first because I don't have the steadiest hand. My friend comes into school with beautifully painted nails with different patterns and little pictures on and I'm always so jealous. I had a little look on online and decided to try one particular pattern; here's how it turned out..

So if you want to recreate 'Santa Hat Nail Art' just in time for Christmas, here's what I did:

I painted the entire nail with a lovely champagne glittery colour; its called Golden Touch and its from the Fearne Cotton nail range- I tried to find the link online but I think it might have been part of a limited edition set but you can always substitute it with Gold Lining also by Fearne. I use Golden Touch a lot just on its own because its really pretty and sparkly. I tend to use 2 coats because I think it needs that extra build up but this time, I just used one coat because I didn't want to make it look too intense or anything, I just needed a base coat and I found that it just looks really nice. This one drys really quickly so by the time I had done both hands, I could start the next part.

Next I used a red nail varnish to do the tips of my nails, I wouldn't bother trying to make the edge neat like you would if you were doing a French manicure because its only going to be covered with the white nail polish. What I would say though is make sure that if you have rounded nails like I do, then don't round the red nail polish. I did mine in a straight line across the nail because I think it looks better that way. I don't know which colour or what collection the red I used was from because it doesn't have anything to identify it but I'm sure it'll work fine with any red nail polish. This also drys quickly because you're not using a lot of nail polish to be honest but make sure as I slightly smudged my little finger of my right hand and had to fix it properly.


After this, I simply 'dotted' a white nail polish at the edge of where the red and champagne colour meets to make the fluffy rim of Santa's hat. This might be the part where people go wrong and trust me, I did. Especially on my right hand because I'm right handed and hand to try to work with precision with my left hand. The good thing about this is that you can always fix it with the champagne colour if the white has gone too low down on your nail. Again, I'm not sure where this white polish is from, I think its from Avon maybe. I know its part of the French manicure set but apart from that, pretty much clueless.

The last thing I did was use a top coat and I always ALWAYS use the same one because I don't know if its supposed to do this or not but it drys amazingly well on your nails. Plus if you have some on your fingers, which I always do as I'm not the best, its an absolute life saver and you can just pick it off like PVA glue (damn that was the best time in primary school).


I hope you enjoyed this, I certainly did and I'm very happy with the results. Have a great Christmas :)

1 comment: