Sunday, November 16, 2014

REVIEW: 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift

I feel like I haven't done a music review in absolutely ages but I thought I would do this one in particular because I genuinely love it. I was listening to a podcast that recommended 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift and so I searched it on YouTube; ever since, I have been obsessed, constantly playing it on repeat (like right now as I'm writing this). I just checked the views on VEVO and to date, it has over 73 million views and it wasn't even released two weeks ago. That is absolutely insane. Its from her new albumn '1989' which I've heard a few other songs of and I love as well. I would definitely recommend buying it on iTunes because its just so good.
 
 
The entire song sounds so well made; I also think Taylor's voice has improved so much over the last few years which you can definitely hear in Blank Space. I think the music video was such a perfect choice as well and I never usually say that because I don't watch the video at all. Most times when I listen to music, I'll use the lyrics verson because I get frustrated with the official music video. However in this one, I think Taylor excelled herself.

The plot of the video is about a fictional verson of Taylor, who is a serial dater and falls very hard for a certain man. They enjoy this blissful life in a big country house, doing traditional activities like horse-riding together, painting his portrait and carving his name into a tree. She then finds out that he has been talking to another woman and the jealous (and slightly mad) Taylor comes out. She destroys his car, his painting and his phone in frustration, only to break down crying. She quickly moves onto the next man for it to start all over again.

One of the reasons why I really like it is because Taylor said that she wrote the song as a sort of reaction towards all the negative press she gets about dating. I think that was such a good move on her part because she is constantly criticised by the media for doing things that everyone else is doing. They also always say that she only writes about her boyfriends in songs but surely that's the point of being a songwriter? To write about personal experiences in order to make music that is honest and real? For example, Adele admitted that a lot of her songs were about ex boyfriends and she didn't get any negative attention for it? So why is Taylor being targeted for it? Just something to think about.

Autumn 2014

Tayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment