Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Is money really the key to happiness?

A lot of things have inspired this blog post, money is something that affects everyone in the world. Whether you have it or you don't.


Money means different things to different people. Some spend it like its going out of fashion whereas some people have to budget just to afford their rent. I find it really weird that money can drive people to the most extreme lengths but I can understand the urge to do anything to want to protect your family, I really can.

I’ve heard a lot of people say that “money doesn’t buy happiness” and it doesn’t but money can provide security and peace of mind that if anything were to go wrong that you have the finances to afford it. I feel like money can be so easily spent nowadays and because of the changing economy, people have had to cut back on their “luxuries” a bit. My mom is always saying it and I know it doesn’t mean that we are one step away from bankruptcy but it does make me think about how money can cause arguments in families, whether you have it or whether you don’t. I’m not saying we are “rich” because we’re far from it, my mother looks for sales or reduced prices as a way of saving a few pounds here and there.

Now my aunty and uncle don’t really have a lot of money but they are still quite content with their lives together and with their children. They plan to get married but are having to cut a lot of costs on the wedding because they simply can’t afford it. My aunty said that she wouldn’t have had a huge wedding anyway because that’s not the type of person she is; she’s still excited to get married and spend the rest of her life with the man she loves and she’s got the right idea I think. You can be pretty content with your life even if you don’t have the dosh. I think it’s quite superficial as well to assume that only money can make you happy because it really doesn’t.


Happiness is a scale, money isn’t the measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment