Friday, July 05, 2013

Work Experience: Day Five

We were allowed to choose which section of the store we wanted to work in so me and Maria chose to do Customer Collections. It was so busy, it was ridiculous, we constantly had to collect parcels. However, there was suddenly a lull and people stopped coming in (perhaps because of the hot weather, it was so warm, especially since we were sitting there in our black work outfits); me and Maria found ourselves talking about the several 'Levels of Friendship'. Two women came in and like a good worker, I offered to carry their things to their cars- little did I know that they were a bedstead and a TV. My back and feet absolutely killed, I wanted to cry so much.

In the afternoon, me, Maria and Alice went to F&F together where we scanned price tags on different fabrics and order new tickets if the prices were incorrect. However, it was so confusing and the man didn't actually explain it right to us because he had to deal with a customer. I don't think I did it wrong but it did slightly annoy me when I had finished sorting the fabric samples and a couple came and started re-arranging things (that's one of the things I'm not sure I could handle in retail). After that, me, Alice and Maria re-stocked the wall lights, table lamps, pillows and gift sweets. We had to visit the stockroom around 10 times because there is only so much a trolley can hold.

We then walked around the store asking customers if they needed any help, some of them just asking for the price of something, some of them asking where the toilets or particular parts of the store were, most of them were 'just browsing'.

We went back to the PDR to wait for our final meeting with Liz. We were told that work experience had the best opportunity at getting a job which made us pretty pleased. However, we found out specific parts about Will's personality that day that we didn't really like, he mocked the school we went to and the fact that we take public transport, calling us 'commoners'. We also found of how much of a 'suck up' he was, bringing in chocolates for the personnel team who had chose him for work experience. He went round to the workers and shuck their hands, laying on the compliments with a shovel; it got pretty cringe-worthy but the end of the shift. At half 4, we spoke to Liz and were told that Will couldn't get a job at John Lewis because he was only 15 and his 16th birthday is in May. I was really happy because even know I'm still 15 (boooooo!!!!!), I have my national insurance number so I do qualify for a job (thank God!).

If you're wondering whether to do work experience, then I would definitely recommend doing it, even if you don't want to work in retail because its a really good experience. I didn't know how it was going to go at the start of the week but I really enjoyed it. Every single partner I met was so incredibly lovely and friendly that I can't praise them high enough. It's so interesting learning about the way that things work which I never really considered before.

Good luck to anyone going for any work experience or jobs; just try your hardest and make sure that you are polite to your employers and the customers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment